Sunday, July 1, 2018

Thia's house project


Idea

It all started with an image showing "architect's perspective", used by architects back in the days before 3D programs to make a floor and wall plan into a drawing of a building in perspective.

(this is the image that started it)


I saw this and thought, "hmm, I bet I could do that in reverse. I bet I could use this to get an accurate outer floor plan and wall plans of a building just by having pictures of it in perspective" And then I had this brilliant idea of getting the plans for Thia's house in the game (a house in Guild Wars 2 that we role play is my character's house), and then redrawing it from a different angle, accurately.

I actually thought, at first, this was going to be a quick exercise. It turned into something much more involved, and gave me the opportunity to practice a lot more than reverse architect's perspective.


Reverse engineering

So next I had to figure out how to get the floor plans and wall plans. I did spend a lot of time on a couple false starts where I made some mistakes that messed up the results, but eventually I figured it out (I'll post the explanation I wrote to myself in a bit). These images do not show all the perspective lines, station points, etc, (there was a LOT of lines, hard to see what was going on), just each plan.









Finding a composition

At this point I had already had an idea to use this exercise for a bit of storytelling, but that meant I would have to have very specific requirements of the angle I would rebuild the house in. The roof would need to be very visible, and a figure on the second floor inside. So I set to planning it out.

first, layout ideas on paper



then plugging the plans into a 3D program (blender)



 calculating where the floors were, using some inner wall measurements



And calculating the height of a figure using the windows and doors I had already measured





then putting it all in place and rotating and adjusting it until it worked



Rebuilding the house

Now that I knew the angle, I went back to Clip Studio Paint and started building it back up, using the flat plans as starting points and the 3D images as reference.


also I added a background, but the position of things is more guessed than measured, since I figured I would have it less detailed and possibly blurred, just to give a general idea of the setting, the focal point being the house and story.



And then I wrote down my process in case I forget later.



Shadows, Lighting and Storytelling

Once I had the house sketched out I decided I was going to use it to practice mapping out the cast shadows in perspective. Once again this only shows mostly the result, the working layers had SO MANY LINES, because I had to figure out where all the over-hangs would be on the floor directly below to calculate the shadows, as well as the actual ray lines and direction lines etc.




Then coloring... 
first I couldn't get the local flat colors to look right,



 but then a video tutorial helped me get it more unified.



I started reading about light and the color of light and sunlight and tried to get my house in late afternoon/early evening light. Planned out cast shadows, form shadows and occlusion.

Occlusion:


 House in late daylight...ish:


Once everything with the house was blocked in I started adding the storytelling elements. Bonus: my first rendered large explosion ever.




I had to go back and add some debris and cast shadows.



Final thoughts

I could do a lot more detailing and painting on this picture but I think I already accomplished what I wanted with this as it is, I know I made this way more complicated then it had to be considering my starting point, still I'm very proud of everything I did and learned on it ^_^